The Divide, E. J. Mellow

  

The Blurb 

Molly finally uncovers the truth about the strange dreams that plagued her sanity for weeks. Now destined to accept a clandestine role, Molly must find the strength and courage buried deep to push forward and succeed.

With the help of Dev, the roguish blue-eyed man of her dreams—whose dark past resurfaces to haunt him—Molly prepares to test the limits of her newly awakened powers and set right a world on the edge of being consumed by nightmares.

But when an unknown shadow stalks her every step and a shocking revelation about her ancestry comes to light, Molly may find herself forced to make a decision that could leave her alone in the dark and standing on the wrong side of a divide.

My Thoughts 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I’m sorry. Now I feel better. I haven’t been able to stop reading since I started this book, and I feel like my eyes will explode at any moments, but ALL FOR THE BETTER! I’ll review and then I’ll curl up in a corner and sob.

Right, now I have three pages of notes to organise, bear with me.

First of, I was really scared I would not like this book as much as the first one, because sometimes it happens. But nope. Loved it as much, if not more. I’m just obsessed. 

In terms of plot, I loved it. I loved the whole mythology built behind the story, with the Dreamers, Terra, the roles of each and every “category” of characters. This is some brilliant world-building, and I’m seriously in awe. Plus, this sequel is really focusing on the world as Molly learns about it herself, and about her abilities. 

War is getting closer and more real, and you really feel, as the reader, that you’re running against time yourself. I couldn’t put the book down, so you see. Something I really like, too, was the fact that in the 1st book, Molly had to separate her dreaming life from the real life, and now they suddenly seem to collide/overlap, and I thought it was a very clever way of building up the tension. Bonus points!
Special mention to the Library of Memories, I absolutely loved the idea and I’m super jealous of this entire world, actually because I JUST WANT TO LIVE IN IT! CAN I? PLEASE? I DON’T TAKE UP MUCH ROOM AND I KNOW HOW TO BAKE! 

SO. MANY. PLOT TWISTS. (But that’s spoiler, so I’ll just say my heart was racing so bad at one point. AND THE ENDING! COME ON!)

I wrote a list of themes related to the plot: mystery, sacrifice, home, family, love, discovery, learning, trust, hope, choice. 

Onto characters. Damn. E. J. Mellow knows how to make my heart break and swoon and uuuugh. I love them all. I love the playful/serious relationship between Dev and Molly, and also the genuine respect they have for each other, even they keep hiding under piles of sarcasm. 

I have the biggest fictional crush for Rae. There, I said it, I love that guy. I want to hug him.

I loved how Molly came from being strong and brave to being even stronger and braver, without turning her into a heartless, cold blooded robot. That’s some major skills right there (in my opinion). I really admire Molly, to be honest. 

Right, now as for style. There’s a lot more action in this book, and you can really feel it in the writing style. It’s fast, dynamic, quick, witty, snappy, all sorts of goodness. I especially loved the memories scenes, which must have been a bit of a challenge to write. Arg, this is just so perfect, I feel a bit sad about my own writing (ahah). 

Finally, a message to the author herself: thank you. I really, really love your series, and I’m super picky. I tend to look for positive thoughts in all the books I read, and I rarely destroy a book for that reason, but it’s not that easy to find a book/series that makes me so passionate and happy and excited. Especially these days when life and its hardships are a bit in my face. So yeah. You’re a new favourite authors of mine, that’s it. AND I can’t wait for The Destined.
I only have good things to say. 

★★★★★

Links 

Goodreads
Author's website 
Twitter 
Tumblr

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés