The Rook, Daniel O'Malley


The Blurb 

"The body you are wearing used to be mine." So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her.

She soon learns that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Chequy that battles the many supernatural forces at work in Britain. She also discovers that she possesses a rare, potentially deadly supernatural ability of her own.

In her quest to uncover which member of the Chequy betrayed her and why, Myfanwy encounters a person with four bodies, an aristocratic woman who can enter her dreams, a secret training facility where children are transformed into deadly fighters, and a conspiracy more vast than she ever could have imagined.

My Thoughts

"The body you are wearing used to be mine." HOW GOOD DOES THAT SOUND?
 
Holy. Freaking. What. The. Wut. Blblblbl.

That's it, I'm done: I have a new favourite.

The Rook is the best book I have read in a very long time: it is rich, layered, so beautifully written, with vivid characters. It's heavy, light, dark, bright, but always so gripping and fascinating.

I loved the idea of it: it's like nothing I've read before, and I loved how well executed it was. It has so many components that make it superb to me (according, I know, to my personal tastes): fantasy, kickass heroine, original and unique plot, amazing world/setting. The writing is incredible, funny, rich, filled with twists and turns and beautiful prose.

It can only be a winner in my eyes.

Myfanwy is everything I want in a best friend and I loved how much she evolves from the very confused woman at the beginning to the strong, independent badass at the end.


If you don't know what to read next, go for this one, you won't be disappointed.

I promise.

Selected Quotes

  • "Dear You, the body you are wearing used to be mine." 
  • "Remember, they want you dead." 
  • "She'd neglected makeup entirely, and those damn black eyes lent her the appearance of a raccoon. A raccoon that had gotten hit in the face. After a lifetime of poor nutrition." 
  •  "She blinked, and when these eyes opened, a new person looked out." 
  • "It was like speaking to a sculpture and a sculptor." 
  • "You look like Cinderella.
    - Yeah, if she'd been into bondage and had Christian Dior for a godmother." 
  • "Now, do you mind telling me why you have all these guns lying around? Are you afraid the paperwork will rise up against you?
    - Oh, no. I'm going to use the guns as paperweights." 
★★★★★ 

Links 


Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés